I prefer to be open and transparent about the development of studiolist.org. That’s why I’m listing major development steps here. I understand that this is not super interesting for you as an artist but my developer friends like it and some of them are voiceover artists as well :P
On June 1, 2019 I returned to Berlin, Germany after I had validated studiolist.org within 4 months (Feb 1 to May 31) while traveling & working (day job, voiceover). In practical terms this meant that I was cold-contacting recording studios to connect to them and convince them to be listed on studiolist.org.
If there had been no market fit or market validation until Jun 1 studiolist.org would have died. But the opposite is the case. That is why, after my return to Berlin, I’ve been in the process of making money through client work (with my copywriting startup). Making money through client work gives me the funds for further investment into studiolist.org - tech- and travel-wise.
You can follow my daily struggle as an adventurer and entrepreneur (adventureneur)!
Countries and cities where I connected to VO studios:
- Morocco - Agadir, Marrakesh, Casablanca, Rabat
- Portugal - Lisbon
- Spain - Madrid, Barcelona
- UK - London, Oxford, Sheffield, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol, Cardiff
- USA - Miami, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington D.C., Atlanta, Nashville, Chicago, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles
Currently collecting in:
I’m currently located in Berlin, Germany but I’m not actively collecting new studios because I get to focus on making money through copywriting jobs. As soon as I saved enough money, I can continue my travels and collect more studios, for example in other parts of Europe or in Asia.
- 281 days ago: added all 26 UK studios (London, Oxford, Sheffield, Newcastle, Edinburgh, Liverpool, Manchester, Bristol, Cardiff); embedded email sign-up form so studiolist.org partners receive important news
- 286 days ago: made index page leaner (less cluttered); added new sub-page to list studios there; more courageous/bolder font choice (sans-serif for headers); bolder and more targeted name "Best Recording Studios for Digital Voiceover Nomads"; embedded mailchimp waiting list sign-up form
- 343 days ago: added three new VO-verified, Los-Angeles-based studios; small copy updates
- 345 days ago: added new VO-verified, San-Francisco-based studio; small correction in the contact form and added honeypot field for/against spam; redirect to https version by default
- 348 days ago: added new VO-verified, San-Francisco-based studio
- 349 days ago: added four new VO-verified studio (in Portland, Oregon); added new San Francisco based, VO-verified studio & corrected studio count
- 351 days ago: added five new VO-verified studio (in Portland, Oregon)
- 353 days ago: added new VO-verified studio (in Seattle, Washington)
- 354 days ago: added three new VO-verified studios (in Seattle, Washington)
- 358 days ago: studiolist.org now online (redirect from studiolist.io active); Added all verified and visited studios in Morocco, Portugal, Spain and US (NYC, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Atlanta, Nashville, Chicago, Denver); added to link to Mastodon; turned every mention into studiolist.org to make it brand-consistent; added telegram to footer; added 120-day journey to story
- 369 days ago: studiolist goes open-source, bought studiolist.org for 240 US dollars, a new /activity page, and some minor on the /about page
- 405 days ago: Added Moroccan studios who agreed to be listed here, some amendments on the frontpage copytext
- 412 days ago: Slimmer home page, new about page, new contact page
- 424 days ago: Started 120-day challenge. If I can’t validate studiolist.io within these 4 months, the project dies. See me document it on Twitter and Instagram. Hashtag is #startupdiarystudiolist.
- 496 days ago: Added new copytext, a teaser for upcoming interviews and the paragraph of using existing studio infrastructure
- 718 days ago: Launched on a Friday 13th, wish me luck haha
- Currently, 89 studios on 3 continents, 7 countries, 10 federal states and 27 cities